Many parents with a minority language background have challenges communicating with nurseries, schools, sports and leisure clubs. This also means that they struggle to be included in the children's everyday life. Kiddy solves this with the help of an app.
Kiddy currently has 16 languages that are directly translated via an App and Web Admin. As part of the work to ensure that the solution has the desired effect, in August 2022 Daxap entered into a collaboration with SINTEF. The aim of the project was to understand whether Kiddy can contribute to better communication and cooperation between kindergartens and parents of minority-language children.
Contributes to easier communication and better understanding
SINTEF carried out a survey among employees and parents at Sandfjæra kindergarten i Malvik municipality, as well as kindergartens in Søndre Nordstrand district in Oslo who have already used Kiddy since spring 2022. The results of the survey were very positive.
Parents with a minority language background experienced easier access to information and better communication with the nursery when using Kiddy. The translation function in particular received particularly good feedback. In addition, staff and parents agreed that Kiddy had a positive effect on relations between staff and parents, communication between nursery school and home and integration of parents - regardless of language. This shows that Kiddy can be an important tool for including parents with a minority language background in their children's everyday life, as well as simplifying communication for those who already speak Norwegian.
according to Siw Olsen Fjørtoft from SINTEF, the findings from the survey show that Kiddy is an effective tool.
Parents with a minority language background experienced easier access to information and better communication with the nursery when using Kiddy.Siw Olsen Fjørtoft, Project Manager at SINTEF
Summary information about the survey:
- A total of 183 people participated. Of those who participated, 33 were employees and 150 were parents. 48 % of those who participated had a language other than Norwegian as their mother tongue.
- When asked about ease of use and the experience of using the Kiddy app, the results showed a generally positive feedback from the participants.
- 68 % of the participants believed that most people will learn to use the app quickly, and 58 % believed that the different functions in Kiddy were well connected.
- 83% of the participants felt that the Kiddy app was easy to use.
- Regarding the translation function, 73 % of the participants stated that they were largely satisfied that the translation provided the information they needed to give and receive. This number increased to 83% among parents with a minority language background.
- The results of the survey also showed a positive effect of Kiddy on relations between staff and parents, communication between nursery school and home and integration of parents. 62 % of the participants believed that Kiddy had a positive impact on the relations between staff and parents, while 77% believed that Kiddy contributed positively to the integration of parents. 57 % thought Kiddy contributed positively to the communication between nursery school and home.
Manages for positive social impact
An important part of social entrepreneurship is measuring the societal effect, also known as impact management. For a social entrepreneur, the social results are just as important as financial returns, and a bottom line that can be measured and managed. An impact economy is a global megatrend where companies increasingly follow, invest in and buy from companies that measurably solve societal challenges. The digital communication solution Kiddy stands as an example of how Daxap contributes to the impact economy with its impact management.
Impact management is to systematically identify, measure and improve one's social impact. Daxap has systematized this in an impact management plan. The plan focuses on identifying important challenges in society and opportunities for the company to create positive change in this.
Martha The soot hole, general manager of Impact Startup, believe that
Daxap are experienced technology entrepreneurs with an important solution. The fact that they are also working with a solid actor like SINTEF to learn more about the effect of Kiddy shows that they are also dedicated social entrepreneurs who want to improve society. The findings show that they are on the right track.Marte Sootholtet, CEO of Impact StartUp
Kiddy has already been shown to make a measurable positive difference to a priority problem. We want to ensure that Kiddy continues to contribute to better communication and cooperation between all employees and parents - regardless of language.Kubilay Kartal, Managing Director of Daxap